Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Heathrow

Well, this is entry 1 of the actual travel blog! Yes, I've left Canada, and am currently on a long, long lay over in Heathrow Airport in London. The flight here was ok, but we should back up a couple days...

Turns out that getting ready to leave the country is a bit of work. I keep forgetting this, and it gets worse when you have to move out at the same time! I spent the last week or so (since I finished the paper) cleaning and packing, neither of which are my favorite things to do. I also had to figure out what to take with me, which was no easy task. The nice thing is that my room at school was not all that big, and so the dust had a limited number of surfaces to adhere to.

On Friday my good friend and erstwhile roommate James came over to Vancouver in a big old VW camper van to move my stuff. I certainly thought that I had a whole lot of boxes, but it took us less than an hour to move it all out! We were working as fast as possible, and managed to make the 6:00 ferry, which meant that we were able to watch the start of the Canucks game on the ferry. We were back at James' place by the start of the second period, and so decided to hold off on unpacking, and instead ordered pizza, and watched the Canucks trounce the Kings. It was just like old times- hockey and Law and Order and then James fell asleep on the couch and started snoring!

Saturday morning I was not up bright and early, but still managed to get my stuff moved into the house in under an hour. That was me working on my own, since James was doing my taxes for the last two years. We both finished at the same time, and he drove me into Victoria. I had a couple hours to kill before meeting Jeff and Kirsten, who I was staying with the next night, and I managed to do a bit more shopping for my trip, most importantly buying more books. I always think that you can never have enough books for a long trip.

Sunday morning was the Cathedral, (much close to Jeff and Kirsten's place) and then a meeting, and the 5:00 ferry home. Yesterday (Monday) was a whirlwind of last minute packing, before the airport at 2, and a flight at 5 (delayed to 5:30).

And that's where I am now! It's currently about 2:00 here in London, my flight is at 9:45 this evening, and gets in around 1:00 pm Colombo time. Hopefully I can sleep some on the second flight!

3 comments:

  1. That is a long enough lay over for a trip to the Abbey. I am disappointed, Will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Will ... had I known you had such a long lay over we could have had lunch in town or near the Abbey ... hope you have a safe flight out ... as I'm writing this you should be flying out of Heathrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi WIll, safe journey and keep up the blogging if you can. Enjoying the story so far. Jill

    ReplyDelete