Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Arrival

Greetings from Sri Lanka! If I was more on the ball, that would be in the local languages, but I'm not, and it isn't. The point though, which should not be lost in the language, is that I am here in Sri Lanka. I arrived yesterday, around 1:00 local time, and was met by a former assistant to the Bishop, who gave me a ride to my digs for the summer. I am staying at St. Margaret's Convent, an Anglican order of nuns who run a guest house on the side. My room is quite nice, I have my own bathroom and more importantly, my own fan. Yes, folks, it's hot here. It's like being in a sauna all day. I hope that I can get used to it!

The flight from London was ok - the woman in front of my reclined her seat really far, which put a crimp in my leg room for the flight, but there was no one behind me, so I could recline as well. The flight was about 10 hours long.

Once I got here yesterday the nuns fed me (rice and curry) and then I basically spent the afternoon sleeping. It was glorious! I emerged from room for supper, and was able to meet some of the nuns, who are all very sweet. There are a couple other guests at the convent right now, including a woman from Ottawa (who was born in Colombo).

This morning was matins and then Eucharist, and I meet my supervisor in just a few minutes, to find out what I will be doing the rest of my time here in Sri Lanka!

2 comments:

  1. I was pretty sure you would arrive OK but I still thought about you all day Monday, wondering what time it was wherever you were. Be nice to the nuns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still floored that you met a woman from Ottawa who is from my placement parish. SUCH a small world!!

    ReplyDelete