Saturday, July 24, 2010

I'll Just Go and Come, Shall I?

In Sri Lanka, for some reason, people never say that they are just leaving, not if there is the chance they will come back. It's always "I'll just go and come, shall I?" I've been thinking about this since I left Sri Lanka, yesterday at 1:15 Colombo time (exactly eighty six day and fifteen minutes from when I arrived). When I was leaving and saying good bye I told every one I would go and come - because how could I not return to this wonderful, magical, frustrating dripping land? Somewhere along the line, despite (or because of) the terrifyingly hot food, the constant sweating, the insane traffic, I really began to love Sri Lanka. I was sorry to leave.

Sorry to leave, but not sorry to get to London! Yes, I'm finished my internship, and am celebrating with a few days in London. My flight was coming through here anyway, and I have lots of time, so I thought I'd stop and see the Tower of London. I've been to London a couple times, but never seen the Tower (the first time I came we were so broke we could only see what was free, which included the outside of the tower; the second time I was only in London for an afternoon, and obviously Westminster Abbey takes precidence).

The flight from Colombo was long, but not full. I had an empty seat next to me, which I consider to be the most rare and wonderful of all airline pleasures. However, to counterbalance this, the lady in front of me kept her seat reclined an unreasonable amount. Still, with seat back TVs and some decent movies, it was an ok flight.

I'm staying at a YMCA in London, and it proved to be easy to get to - took the tube straight from Heathrow, with only one change. The room is nice- a private room, and it has carpet! and hot water! These are things that I got used to not seeing in Sri Lanka, where neither is very practiable. This morning I had my first hot shower since I was in Bandarawella with Fr. Dilho, and it was glorious.

I'm here for a few days, then back to Canada. I'm finished my time in Sri Lanka, but I still have lots of stories to tell - internet was often difficult to come by, and by the time I had a chance to update this blog, there would be too much to post. So continue to read for the next few months, as I reflect on my trip, tell the stories I wasn't able to tell before, and of course post more pictures.

2 comments:

  1. When you stay at the Y do you have to sing the song?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't you just sit in the empty seat beside you, sans reclining-lady?

    ReplyDelete