Saturday, January 30, 2010

Immunized!

I took another small step along the road to Sri Lanka yesterday by popping by a travel clinic for a series of shots. I'd never heard of travel clinics before (which tells you something about how I feel about doctors!), but when we were at orientation in Toronto we had a whole lecture on health and safety and one of the things they emphasised was going to a travel clinic. It was pretty straightforward (though not exactly painless). The doctor gave me a prescription for some anti-malarials, as well as some stomach stuff, and they gave me a series of shots. It was a bit tricky, as I don't know exactly where I'll be going in the country. I also got an H1N1 shot, since it was free. My arms have been sore from the shots since yesterday, but they assured me that was normal, and will go away in time.

In other, non-Sri Lanka life events, my school celebrated the opening of the Iona Pacific Interreligious Center. It's based out of the Vancouver School of Theology, and is a place for research and social action between and within religions. The director is a Jewish Rabbi who teaches at VST. The opening was really nice - there were lots of people there, and the speeches were excellent (and short). They hired me to help with the parking - there was not much parking room in front of the school, so we were supposed to send everyone who was not either handicapped or one of the speakers to the parkade a couple blocks away. Well, this was ok for the most part, except when Bishop Ingham, the Anglican Bishop drove up. I hadn't looked too closely at the list of speakers, and so didn't notice that his name was on it. Mindful of my instructions to not allow anyone to park in front of the school, I sent him away to the parkade. It was as he was driving off that I noticed his name on the list of speakers. Oops!

1 comment: